When moving out, you must provide an advance 30-day written notice to vacate. A 30-day notice form is provided in the forms section. Once we receive your 30 day notice to vacate, the following list is a breakdown of what you will need to do prior to your departure.
Preparing the Property
We want your move-out to be a pleasant and successful one. The following are the steps to take for your move:
- The premises should be clean, with the only discrepancies being what was indicated in your move-in paperwork.
- General cleaning, carpet cleaning and touch-up painting are routine deductions, unless it is otherwise noted in your lease agreement.
- The property must be professionally cleaned throughout the interior and exterior.
This includes cleaning vinyl or tile floors, windows inside and out, window sills and door casings, mini blinds, all appliances, sinks, toilets, bath tubs, showers, vanities, light fixtures, fireplaces, wiping down drawers and shelves, removal of cobwebs inside and out, etc.
- Tenant caused dirt is not normal “wear and tear.”
- Pick up debris and animal feces on the exterior of the property and place them in the proper trash receptacles.
- Charges for carpet cleaning depend on the time lived in the property for normal wear and tear, whether you have had pets, and if the carpet cleaning exceeds normal wear and tear.
- You will be charged 100% at all times if you have had pets and/or you have soiled carpets exceeding normal wear and tear.
- Do NOT rent carpet-cleaning machines, use home cleaning machines, or employ chemical cleaning companies. Only professional truck-mounted steam cleaning from a reputable company is accepted; we will provide recommendations on companies who will give you reasonable rates on carpet cleaning.
- If you hire a carpet cleaner other than one recommended by us, the carpet cleaner must guarantee that the work done is up to par with our standards. A receipt is required during the walk-through inspection.
- Please note, we will not reimburse for any carpet cleaning contracted by tenants.
- Clean all windows inside and out.
- Do NOT wash draperies.
- You are not expected to dry clean draperies unless:
- You have caused excessive soil or allowed water damage from open windows. Draperies with water stains could require replacement. Discuss this with your property manager.
- You have not been using the draperies provided and/or have not kept them in good condition.
- Wipe all mini blinds–do not use harsh chemicals on the blinds.
The following must not be missing and in working order to avoid charges when moving out:
- Light bulbs
- Smoke Detector batteries
- Furnace filters (change the filters just before you vacate the property and ensure that the size is correct)
- The outside area is to be neatly mowed, trimmed, pruned, fertilized, and watered for outside areas that apply in your rental contract.
- Remove all trash and debris and place in the proper receptacles.
- Remove grease or oil drips; dispose of motor oil properly–it does not belong in the garbage receptacles.
- Pick up any animal feces whether you have an animal or not.
- If you have trash that exceeds the normal pickup, you are to arrange to have it hauled away at your expense.
- Place all other trash within the appropriate trash receptacles for normal trash removal.
- Do not overflow trash receptacles.
- We request that you do not spackle, putty, or touch up paint unless you are sure the paint will match.
- Charges can occur if unnecessary painting is required due to tenant painting.
- Charges for painting depend on whether it exceeds normal wear and tear, and the length of time in the property.
- The security deposit will be refunded after termination of tenancy and end of Tenant’s occupancy in the manner prescribed in the Landlord-Tenant Relationship Act of the State of Michigan, and upon satisfaction of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- We’ll mail to you at your last known address your security-deposit refund (less lawful deductions) and an itemized accounting of any deductions no later than 30 (thirty) days after the Lease Contract termination and delivery of possession to us.
- NOTICE: Tenant may not apply this security deposit to the last month’s rent, or to any other amount owed or due under the lease agreement
- NOTICE: You must notify Landlord or Agent in writing within four days after you move of a forwarding address where you can be reached and where you can receive mail. Otherwise, Landlord shall be relieved of sending you an itemized list of damages and the penalties adherent to that failure, including, but not limited to, cleaning, repair of damages, unpaid rent, late fees, and returned check fees.
- NOTICE: Security deposits will not be returned to individuals that are not indicated in the lease agreement without prior signed authorization from the tenant.